The Wijeratne lab is a research lab that studies plant-microbe interactions. We are interested in how plants defend themselves against pathogens, and how pathogens overcome these defenses. We are also interested in how these interactions can be manipulated to improve crop yields.
We are committed to providing undergraduate students with a research experience that will help them develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in their future careers. We offer students the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects, to learn from experienced scientists, and to gain hands-on experience in the laboratory.
We believe that undergraduate research is an essential part of a well-rounded education, and we are committed to providing students with the opportunity to participate in this important work.
This mentoring compact outlines the expectations and responsibilities of both the student and the mentor in the Wijeratne lab. It is important that both parties read and understand this document before the start of the research experience.
- Be present and engaged in lab meetings and discussions.
- Be prepared for lab meetings by reading the relevant literature and completing assigned tasks.
- Communicate regularly with the mentor about progress on research projects.
- Be respectful of the lab environment and the property of others.
- Follow all safety procedures in the lab.
- Meet all deadlines for assignments and presentations.
- Provide students with a research project that is aligned with their interests and abilities.
- Meet with students regularly to discuss their progress and provide feedback.
- Offer guidance and support to students as they work on their research projects.
- Be available to answer questions and provide assistance.
- Help students develop their research skills and knowledge.
- Write letters of recommendation for students who are applying to graduate school or other programs.
The student and mentor will meet at the end of each semester to evaluate the research experience. This evaluation will be used to identify areas for improvement and to make recommendations for future research projects.
- The Wijeratne lab is a supportive and collaborative environment. We encourage students to ask questions and to share their ideas.
- We are committed to providing students with the opportunity to learn and grow. We believe that undergraduate research is an important part of a well-rounded education, and we are excited to work with students who are passionate about science.
If you have any questions about the Wijeratne lab or this mentoring compact, please contact the mentor.